Saturday, May 15, 2010

Gratitude

21 September 2009

On April 29 2009 I heard the words no woman wants to hear... "I am sorry but you have breast cancer which has metastased in your spine". I felt completely numb and my first reaction was: thats it - my life has ended. It was, however, at that point, when the kindness began. Not being on a medical aid, the Neurosurgeon with whom I had consulted, arranged for a huge discount on my MRI scan.

I was then referred to Baragwanath hospital for surgery and treatment. Upon reaching casualty, found it to be too chaotic and I refused to wait to be admitted.

My next angel came in the form of my cousin, Michelle, who used her contact (a Professor) and sheer perseverence to get a doctor at the Steve Biko hospital to see me.

I was admitted on 7 May 2009 and the radiation, drips, scans and sonars began.

No story is complete without the support of family. My mom and sister Lorraine flew out from Canada to be with me. Lorraine, in particular, flew out at very short notice leaving her family to fend for themselves. My other sister Lynne, flew up from the Cape, courtesy of her daughter Leah in America. Other people who were most supportive were Aunty May, Marianne, Douglas, Adi, Kim, Natalie and of course my precious children.

Nicole took time off work, cooked meals for her brothers (and me), fetched and carried and gave my sisters a place to stay.

Kieran, although being in his first year of study at UNISA and writing exams, ran the home as if he had been doing it forever.

Jared stepped up to the plate and contributed towards the smooth running of the home, all the while ensuring that his school grades remained at a high standard.

The power of love and support is immeasurable and I am deeply humbled and grateful to each person mentioned here for the role they have played in my life. If you are reading this, and are one of them please know that you are special and loved and I would not be here right now without you.

XxXxXx

5 comments:

  1. This brings tears to my eyes - the support you have received is lovely, but probably mainly because you are special and deserve it. Having just heard that my younger son is dropping out of university (and not even Unisa), I am ashamed of his being so spoilt in the face of your sons stepping up to the plate so brilliantly AND continuing to do what they are supposed to do - and all this while trying to cope with the news that you have cancer. Well done to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful sister, mother, daughter, aunt - everything!! I have always admired and looked up to you. My music, fashion and every other sense was "cultivated" by you. Man, you even used to cut my hair! My dear sister, I can never show you much I love and want to support you. Though we are so far apart I have never felt closer to you than I do now. I love youxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that you have been given you have deserved; all that love and support, all that help, you also have given. I admire you; I've said it before, will keep on saying it. Love to you.

    Coll (beautiful comment there from Lorraine)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. I agree Colleen, Lorraine's comment brings tears to MY eyes.

    ReplyDelete