Friday, May 14, 2010

Who knew?

Almost 17 years ago my youngest son was born. The timing was bad to say the least; Nicole was in matric, Kieran aged 3 kept me on my toes with his gluten and wheat allergies and life in general just felt as though it was too much for me.

When Jared was two Years of age it was diagnosed that his speech development was delayed as a result of chronic Rhinitus and many middle ear infections.

His tonsils and adenoids were removed and grommets were placed in both ears. Speech therapy then commenced. This was a battle in itself as Jared had become quite ingenious and accustomed to acquiring things without saying a WORD. All it took were sounds and gestures and he would get just what he needed. It was now up to me to break the pattern.....

The night before last, Jared was chosen to present a speech titled "The best thing since sliced bread" at his school's first public speaking event. Being bedridden I could not attend the function and waited anxiously at home like a hen on eggs wondering how he would fare.

Imagine my surprise and joy when Jared later walked in the front door proudly displaying a trophy for the 'Best speaker in his grade' and a gold certificate!

Life could not be sweeter for me right now.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful feeling that must've been - gives me cold shivers! Funny how much small things in life can mean to us - especially when they involve our kids. Well done for your patience in making sure he didn't communicate without speech - must've been hellish at times

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it really wore me out at times, but it was not beneficial to him. The problem was that life was so busy I did not realise what i was doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must've felt like you knocked a ball out the stadium, for a six, N! Well done to you with all the difficulties you went through and all the battles you have faced, you have great courage indeed

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Colleen but I only played a small part Jared did the rest. I Know what you mean though. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is a huge lesson and as long as we learn along the way thats all that counts! Well done Jared!

    ReplyDelete